IBM BladeCenter S WorkshopPureSystems
DescriptionWhat we offer
This course is developed and owned by Lenovo.
IBM solely provides a market place to advertise the courses on our external websites, ibm.com/training and lists the Provider who owns the content.
This workshop provides an in-depth understanding of IBM's design and technology concepts for the BladeCenter S chassis and its components to include integrated storage capabilities.
With a combination of lecture materials and remote lab exercises, this workshop presents a detailed technical overview of the BladeCenter S architectural features. This course introduces and discusses the various management options available for the BladeCenter S chassis, power components, and I/O modules. Topics on troubleshooting your BladeCenter S and installation considerations will be presented.
This course introduces the Storage Configuration Manager and provides technical instructions on creating user-defined zone configurations and predefined zone configurations for the BladeCenter S chassis integrating disk storage modules to achieve SAN like functions.
Remote labs cover identifying the BladeCenter S system environment and configuration of the BladeCenter S chassis using the Advanced Management Module. Preparation of the blade server will be done by learning how to control the blade server through the AMM, configure and verify the blade server BIOS, enabling the SAS expansion card, and verify and configure the SAS card. Configuration using StartNow labs include chassis configuration, applying firmware, SAS disk storage, and blade server expansion card BIOS for RAID and installation of an operating system.
ObjectivesWhat you learn
- List the major components that make up the BladeCenter S chassis
- Distinguish the features unique to the BladeCenter S
- Match the BladeCenter S power component options to implementation requirements
- List the I/O modules available for the BladeCenter S
- Match I/O modules to BladeCenter S I/O bays
- List the AMM functions specific to the BladeCenter S
- List the I/O modules and expansion cards available for the BladeCenter S
- Identify and list BladeCenter S unique features for Ethernet expansion cards
- Match the BladeCenter S I/O modules with supporting expansion cards
- List the BladeCenter S disk expansion options and RAID capabilities
- List the disk storage module SAS and SATA hard drive options
- List the BladeCenter S storage elements to be managed
- List the storage management tasks required for SAS configuration
- Identify and list the management utilities available in the BladeCenter S
- Match the management tasks to the storage operation to be performed
- List the features implemented in the BladeCenter Open Fabric Manager
- List the steps to configure BladeCenter Open Fabric Manager for BladeCenter S
- List the sequence of events that occur in blade failover and recovery
- List the key questions to consider for IBM BladeCenter S installation
- List the power and cooling planning and monitoring tools available for the IBM BladeCenter S
- Match technique to problem when troubleshooting the disk storage module
- List the front panel LEDs and light path indicators used in problem determination
- Match problem environment to system state
TopicsThe best for you
- Unit 1 - BladeCenter S components and architecture
- Unit 2 - BladeCenter S connectivity options
- Unit 3 - BladeCenter Open Fabric Manager
- Unit 4 - Installation considerations and tools
- Lab 1 - Identify the BladeCenter environment
- Lab 2 - AMM review and resource verification
- Lab 3 - Preparation of the blade server
- Lab 4 - Configuration using StartNow
- Lab 5 - Installing an operating system
PrerequisitesWhat should you know
You should have completed:
- IBM BladeCenter Fundamentals (XTR30)
AudienceWho should attend
This is an intermediate course for those individuals involved in the planning, installation, configuration, and upgrading of IBM BladeCenters.