Introduction to NetworkingSoftware Administration
DescriptionWhat we offer
This course is developed and owned by Lenovo.
IBM solely provides a market place to advertise the courses on our external websites, ibm.com/training and lists the Global Training Provider who owns the content.
Introduction to Networking is meant to lay the foundation for all courses related to networking. This course will enable better understanding of the theoretical concepts involved behind the major technologies in use related to networking.
This course will provide a broad overview of networking while still concentrating on a few important theoretical aspects. This will involve an introduction to the basic components of networking focussing on understanding the generic hierarchical view, after which the focus will shift to each of these layers and their functions. The course also features an Introduction to Data Link Layer concepts, Storage Area Networks, Local Area Networks, Virtual Local Area Networks, TCP/IP, Applications, Network Management and Security.
This course would serve as a thorough review of all basic networking concepts and will initiate further understanding in courses related to installation, configuration and maintenance of networking components like switches and routers. Course IBM BNT System Networking Implementation (XTRN1) or ILO IBM BNT System Networking Implementation (XTVN1) - is a three day hands on class and is highly recommended as a follow-on class.
ObjectivesWhat you learn
- Describe the basic components of a communications network
- Describe how switches, bridges and routers work
- Describe the functions of layers in a hierarchical model and understand the importance of each layer in a TCP/IP model
- Describe what LANs, WANs are and be able to give examples
- Describe the evolution of storage and explain the basics of Storage Area Networks
- Describe how TCP/IP is used in the Internet
- Describe how network management is done in a TCP/IP network
- Discuss networking security issues
TopicsThe best for you
- Course administration and introduction
- Unit 1 - Basics of Networking
- Unit 2 - Network Models and Protocols
- Unit 3 - Introduction to the Data Link Layer
- Unit 4 - Introduction to LAN and Ethernet
- Unit 5 - Introduction to Storage Area Networks
- Unit 6 - Introduction to IP Routing
- Unit 7 - Introduction to TCP/IP File Transfer
- Unit 8 - Introduction to the Application Layer
- Unit 9 - Introduction to TCP/IP Network Management
PrerequisitesWhat should you know
There are no pre requisites for this course.
AudienceWho should attend
This is a basic course for individuals who are involved in the planning, installing, configuring and upgrading of IBM System Networking switches.